What To Do If Your Dog Ate Raisins

My dog ate a raisin header

Over the course of his lifetime, odds are that your dog has eaten a variety of things not specifically on the canine menu. Everything from pieces of rubber balls to backyard greenery, to a pretzel, left unattended.

Some things are cause for concern. But are those tiny little dried grapes one of those things?

What Will Happen?

Poisoning due to the ingesting of grapes or raisins is a relatively new danger recognized by veterinarians , No one is sure if the toxicity itself is new, or if its discovery is.

Up until about twenty-five years ago, there was no computerized animal toxicity database, so recognition of this toxin would have been on a case to case basis.

The toxin seems to be widespread among all fruits of the Vitis species, this includes seeded and seedless grapes, rea and green grapes produced both commercially and homegrown, organically or otherwise., as well as currants.

The agent itself has yet to be identified. Some researchers think that it may be a mycotoxin, originating in a fungus or mold found in the fruits. Others believe that it may be a salicylate, an aspirin-like substance, due to its adverse effects on the kidneys.

If you believe it is possible that your dog has been exposed, please call your veterinarian immediately. You can also call a control center such as the Pet Poison Helpline at 855-764-7661. This service is available 24/7 to offer assistance and advice.

Lots of things normally found around your house can prove dangerous. raisin bran cereal and the yogurt covered raisins spring to mind. But let’s not forget trail mix, or granola, or that delicious breakfast pastry.

Can A Pup Eat Them And Live

Some dogs may have a higher tolerance than others, but there is no way to know which ones do. Even if your dog ate a raisin it could be life-threatening, but harmless to another.

If you suspect your puppy has been exposed, watch for signs of trouble.

  • Vomiting will usually occur within the first twenty-four hours. Within the next twelve to twenty-four hours a loss of appetite, lethargy, and possible diarrhea can be expected.
  • A day or two later, more severe problems may present themselves, such as nausea, uremic breath, abdominal pain, diarrhea, excessive thirst, and excessive urination. These symptoms usually are a sign of severe kidney damage.
  • Finally, urination will stop entirely as kidneys shut down, and eventually slip into a coma. The outcome at this point is extremely dire.

What To Do?

If you suspect that your dog has been exposed to the agent in raisins or grapes , time is of the essence. A successful outcome depends on how quickly you act.The goal is to treat him before the toxin can be fully absorbed by his system. He should be seen by a vet right away, but there are certain measures you can take at your house as well.

If you are sure that your dog or dogs has swallowed or eaten raisins within the last sixty minutes, it is imperative that you induce vomiting before the dangerous substance can be processed and he has started showing anything. The sooner you called the vet the better. If you can’t get to the office within the optimal timespan, you may be advised to make this at home.

Do not, however, try to make your animal throw up if he is unconscious, having trouble breathing, or is showing signals of shock or distress. And don’t proceed if you are unsure of the nature of what he has swallowed.

  • You can try the procedure by offering a meal if your canine companion has not eaten within the last sixty minutes, but don’t try to force it if your dog is not interested.
  • Your next step in to use a 3% solution of hydrogen peroxide. Use 1 ml per pound of the dog’s weight, but never more than 45 ml, even if your canine companion weighs over 45 pounds.
  • Using a teaspoon ( one tsp = 5ml), or a needleless syringe, or even a turkey baster, deposit the hydrogen peroxide into the back of your pet’s mouth. And wait.
  • If your canine companion has not vomit within fifteen minutes, you should try the procedure again, but never more than twice.

Your dog should then be instantly transported to your vet’s office or an emergency facility. Once you arrive , the doctor will make a presumptive diagnosis. This can only be presumptive because symptoms of raisin poisoning in dogs resemble sudden kidney failure caused by any other elements that are toxic for dogs. He will rely on your observations. Did you really witness the event? Are there any particular pieces in his vomit? Does your canine companion have a habit of ingesting such items? He will then order a complete blood count (CBC), a serum biochemistry profile, and a urin alysis to determine the damage extent, if any, to your furry buddy’s kidneys.

A primary treatment involves preventing further absorption of substances and mitigating any effects caused by toxins which have already been absorbed.
Your vet may also try to use activated charcoal to prevent any further absorption in the stomach or intestines.

You should expect your dropped dog to remain in the hospital, on intravenous fluids to make sure he stays hydrated for the next day or two. Such fluids will help his body to flush out any toxins.
Your dog will have to remain at the facility care for an additional two to seven days while his illness is assessed each day as it would be suitable to make sure he is responding sufficiently. If they are not able to do so, it could be necessary to make the treatment more aggressive.
Even after he returns afterwards, it will be necessary for his vatious functions to be tested. This will be done by testing his blood two to three days after he has been released.
The prognosis for a poisoned mutt depends on a number of factors. If he consumed only a few pieces of grapes and was treated instantly, the prognosis is excellent. If he suffered renal damage, the prognosis is more problematic.
Kidneys have little ability to restore themselves, so much harm is usually permanent. If your canine companion has suffered destruction to an extent that he is unable to produce no urine at all, his condition is, sad to say, fatal.

Toxicity Calculator

As you’ve seen above, dogs are not the same; a german shepherd is certainly not a yorkie and while you can find similar calculators and chances are that yours will be completely fine anyway, it is still advised to let the doctor handle the situation instead of gambling based on raw numbers.

Frequently Asked Questions

How Long After Eating Raisins Will A Hound Get Sick?

First symptom of raisin toxicity is vomiting and will appear within a day. Other signs of toxic poisoning , including diarrhea, lethargy, and loss of appetite will take another twelve to twenty-four hours to appear, and can signal significant renal injury.

How Many To Make A Pooch Sick?

There is no specific data concerning what dose or how many raisins are bad enough to adversely affect a dog since such toxicity varies at times due to a number of factors. Large size dogs usually have a greater tolerance and can be fine once they have gulped raisins, but this is not always true. Such tolerance of individual dogs varies greatly. A reduced number of currants, or lot of raisins are presumably to be sufficient to cause a significant reaction. But in general you shouldn’t worry about one raisin and your mutt will be alright if he just consumed that much and did not get an entire cake.

What Other Foods Are Bad For Pups?

Everyone is probably aware that dogs are affected when eating chocolate which is bad for them, but it is far from the only food that is not good to be swallowed . Onions and garlic are no go to eats. Use oatmeal instead.
Caffeine is also harmful, as is alcohol. Raw bread dough, because of the action of yeast, contains a tiny amount of alcohol and can be dangerous. And you should never jokingly feed an individual a beer. Besides containing alcohol, beer also contains hops, another used poisonous agent. Xylitol, an artificial sweetener can be hazardous, as can any member of the onion family. Macadamia nuts and dairy products are also bad and red flag.
That’s why need to check all the information of any products or label for hidden ingredients and make sure it’s free of them.
If your chihuahua gulped chocolate , seek veterinary assistance at once. Even the smallest of chocolate can hurt hounds and worsen the outcome of the problem if he got a medium cake or cookies per se .

What about a single one?

While it isn ‘t likely that a grape will kill a small dog, it is not an impossibility. Taht being said, the poisoning contained in fruit of Vitis species (currants) isn’t yet understood, and susceptibility to it varies from an individual animal to animal. Ingesting even a single one can have dire consequences for a dog, but large amounts unlike small amounts will possibly develop fatal and life threatening ones leading to death .

References

PetMD-
WebV
HillsPet
VMd

Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on pinterest
Share on whatsapp

Leave a Comment